Central to The Sonic brief was the site's location and context. Housed in the original Masonic Hall in Orange NSW that dates back to 1864, the project sought to restore the building to its heritage character whilst breathing new life into its interior aesthetic and functionality by creating a retail and hospitality hub.
Instilling a sense of history, community and civic pride, the building's facade was painted white and the original Greek emboss revealed and elevated through the introduction of minimal black accents. Internally, the existing ceiling grids were removed in the central spaces to expose dramatic ceiling heights and existing trusses. A large central opening was introduced to link the previously separate front and rear spaces. Plasterboard was peeled away to expose original brickwork creating a raw and textural aesthetic. All new and existing surfaces were then whitewashed to form a blank canvas for the array of colourful products to be retailed within the two central retail zones.